How doctors use genetic testing to determine the right drugs to use
In the new “specific patient, specific symptom” medical age, genetic testing can be used for gene abnormality analysis of gene clusters targeted by cancer drugs for newly diagnosed cancer patients or cancer recurrence patients (by using extracted cancer cell DNA from surgically removed specimens or tumor biopsy). When the doctor is making a diagnosis and he/she has the patient’s cancer cell gene mutation information, the doctor can use this information to choose the most appropriate targeted drug. This avoids the use of ineffective treatment and makes the best use of crucial treatment time. As a result, treatment effectiveness and the patient’s life quality can increase significantly.
Basic genetic testing procedure
Understand the service procedure through the online customer system
Confirm test items and forms:
1. Filling out the forms:
- (1) Specimen application form: patient’s name for the out-of-hospital pathological section application, medical record number, attending physician, signature of patient or agent.
- (2) Item delivery form: patient’s personal information (name, medical record number, birth date, address, cancer type), attending physician, test items, patient or agent signature.
- (3) Customer’s personal information consent form: confirm whether the customer has authorized the use of personal information and test item information for analysis.
- (4) Have the customer check which laboratory he/she wishes to have the testing done and what level of report the customer desires.
- A. Taipei Veterans General Hospital LIHPAO laboratory, Taipei Institute of Pathology: report for medical use.
- B. LIHPAO Tamsui laboratory: report for research use.
2. Return the forms: check whether the forms have been returned to LIHPAO Life Science (via email or fax).
1. LIHPAO Life Science laboratory will first confirm whether the specimen quality conforms to laboratory standards.
2. If the specimen received by the laboratory is confirmed to be inadequate or unsuitable for testing, the customer’s hospital will be notified to send another specimen. The customer will be notified that the testing service schedule will be recalculated.